Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Profiling vs. Trends

After reading the latest post on To Catch A Thief I feel the need to add a few thoughts of my own:

I absolutely agree with the majority of the post. Yes, I will admit, I have profiled. Of course when I say that, I'm sure anyone reading that statement will immediately assume I'm stalking around watching some individual just because they are black.

Nope. Wrong. Incorrect
.
Let me elaborate, One of my top 10 shortage departments is Juniors. When I see anyone under the age of 20 enter the store, I watch them until I determine they aren't a threat. I'd say 75% of the time most kids are on the level. The other 25% now have files and pictures in my office (if you get my drift). Don't get me wrong, I also watch almost every person that enters the Juniors department regardless of age. I just happen to zero in on the younger crowd regardless of the department, wondering if they will enter the Juniors department.
Now, what I am doing is considered profiling. I find it to be more accurate to say that I am aware of my trends. So if denture cream was in my top 10 shortage departments I'd probably ignore most of the teenie boppers and watch every single person over 50 that entered the store. Am I wrong in what I'm doing?
Are you telling me that if tampons started disappearing off the shelves that you wouldn't watch more women then men?

I know the theory. If I think more women will steal I will technically prove myself right as I would be watching more women thereby ignoring men who might be stealing just as much. I still believe you can't ignore your trends. I watch anyone who seems shady or out of place, regardless of age, race, sex, etc. but I also must be aware of probabilities. Since denture cream is used on dentures which the majority of the time belong to those out of the prepubescent stage I must come to the educated conclusion that high school students are probably not a threat to my precious denture cream. Of course many 'politically correct' people or those who operate on the side of caution to avoid liability would probably string me up right next to Hitler. So be it.

Another point of the post that really hit home for me:

"I am not watching you just because you are black, lady. If I was watching you just because you're black, I'd have to have a million more sets of eyes to watch everyone else in here- because in case you haven't noticed, I'm a minority in this store. I'm watching you because you're a shady bitch with a giant purse and there doesn't appear to be a fucking thing in it... now get off my back"
(Excerpt from To catch a thief blog)
 
Oh boy that definitely resonates with me. I remember one time back when I was Mall Security I happened to be in the dispatch office. One of our BLACK guards brought back a young black juvenile to be banned from the mall because he had been acting up, bothering patrons, and generally being an obnoxious little snit and had ignored repeated warnings from security. First, the argument was, the mall was public property. NEH uh. The mall is actually private property and permission is granted to the public to visit the location. Technically, they could make a rule saying anyone wearing purple isn't allowed on the premises. The next statement he had is really, in my opinion, a disservice to the whole concept of equality and actually would probably make most level headed individuals want to smack a kid.
"It's cause I'm black, you just pickin on me 'cause I'm black"
(Now if you remember, it was a black guard that brought him back to be banned.)
Guard says to the kid, "What the hell you talking about? I'm black you idiot"
And this kid pulls out #2 of my all time favorite lines I've ever heard:
"You just a self hatin black man."
 
Yeahhhhhhh, that must be it. As I remember I think the detaining guard had to leave the room at that time so he could find a wall to bang his head on.
I swear, fear of being accused of profiling, if anything, probably makes me LESS likely to go near someone who isn't white. Although I did read a post somewhere that an LP stopped a woman who was black for stealing some junk. She started in with the same "it's cause I'm black" stuff. And this was in a crowded store no less. So this LP screams just as loudly, "You're right, It has nothing to do with the 10 stolen DVDS in your purse!"
Apparently that shut her up pretty quick.
 
It just makes me angry. I'm not racist. Normally I don't even notice color except when I have to give a description of someone. It offends me deeply for someone to accuse me of something so nasty.
You stole. I don't care if you are the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater. I'm freaking stopping your thieving ass. Try owning up to what you did wrong. My dad always told me (and showed me) that the punishment for lying was twice as worse as what I did wrong in the first place.
 
So get off my back too.

No comments:

Post a Comment